Background

Pages

Thursday, August 26, 2010

Zucchini Salad - Simplicity at it's Best

Sometimes I want to cook a big, crazy, messy, complicated, multi-step concoction - and sometimes I want to feel like I am eating as mother nature intended.

This dish was born on a day I was craving a salad, but had only a zucchini and some other miscellaneous veggies on hand. Who said a salad needs to have lettuce, anyway?

For those of you that have run out of things to do with your abundance of summer zucchini, this one's for you!


Simple Zucchini Salad for 1
1/2 lemon, juiced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tsp dijon mustard
1 tsp greek yogurt
pinch of salt (more if you are not using feta)
pinch of fresh ground pepper
1 large zucchini, shredded*
2-3 green onions, sliced thinly on a bias
1 small handful chopped fresh basil, italian parsley, or mint(I used all three)
feta and roasted almonds to garnish** (optional)

In a medium bowl, whisk together the first six ingredients.

Add the zucchini, onions, herbs, and toss with your hands gently until veggies are coated. "But Ashley," you say, "Why do you measure stuff in handfulls?" Well, because I am allergic to measuring, and because I have never in my life said "This food has too many fresh herbs in it." CRAZY TALK.

Serve in a bowl, and top with feta and chopped roasted almonds.

That's all! Simple, delicious, healthy, and a perfect afternoon snack or side dish to a lovely dinner.

*For the zucchini, I like to use the biggest setting on my box grater. Cut off the ends, and grate the zucchini on each side until you hit seeds, and then move on to another side. Seeds tend to get mushy, so keep them out.

**I like to roast my own nuts (giggle). Buy some raw almonds, place them on an ungreased baking sheet, and bake in the oven on 400 for 10-12 minutes. You will know they are done when they start to fill your kitchen with a lovely smell.

5 comments:

  1. i am such a supporter of the lettuce-less salad. more crunch, more flavor, more texture, more imagination.

    your current incarnation is delightful. we already made it (yesterday evening) here in manhattan (in bulk) and still were not lucky enough to have leftovers.

    -a loyal foodisciple.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First, I absolutely love you! I love that you're doing this! I can just hear your voice as I read! LOVE IT!
    Second, I really wish I had some zucchini in my house right now!!!! Damnit.
    I've added your blog to my bookmarks bar. I'll be checking in regularly. And getting some zucchini tomorrow :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michael - yes!!! This pleases me. Zucchini in bulk, such a beautiful thing. Thanks for reading. :)

    Jenn - I know for a fact Finley will eat this up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know this is one of the most meaningful information for me. And I'm animated reading your article. But should remark on some general things, the website style is perfect; the articles are great. Thanks for the ton of tangible and attainable help. best chef knife under 50

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, these are really quite helpful. However, if you love hunting and use a hunting knife more than anything else, you can check best knife sharpening system

    ReplyDelete