Monday, September 10, 2012
Burg Article - Sans Soucy Shrimp & Wine Festival
My latest Burg article featured the Sans Soucy Shrimp and Wine Festival in Brookneal, VA. It's too late to visit the festival this year, but the article features some tips on cooking with shrimp along with three delicious shrimp recipes.
Big thanks to Paul and Cameron Anctil for their innovative recipes and beautiful photography on this one!
So I leave you with my favorite shrimp recipe. Savory, decadent, and comforting.
SPICY SHIMP & COLLARD GREENS OVER POLENTA
1 cup polenta
3 cups vegetable or chicken broth
1 bay leaf
4 cups shredded fresh collard greens or spinach
1/4 cup olive oil
1 pound medium/large wild shrimp, peeled and deveined
4-5 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
2 cayenne or jalapeño peppers, minced
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2/3 cup dry white wine
1 lemon, juiced
2 tablespoons butter
handful chopped fresh flat-leafed parsley
3 ounces goat cheese
sea salt & pepper
1. In a saucepan, bring broth to boil. Slowly whisk in polenta (whisking prevents clumping), add bay leaf and a couple pinches of salt. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes.
2. In another saucepan, bring 1qt water to boil and salt heavily. Boil greens for 5-7 minutes, or until just tender. Drain.
3. While polenta and greens are cooking, heat olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Add garlic and peppers, sauté for 2-3 minutes. When the garlic begins to brown, add wine and tomato paste, whisk and cook for another 3-5 minutes.
4. Add shrimp, season with salt and pepper, and cook for 2-4 minutes on each side, until just cooked through
5. Add lemon juice, 1 tablespoon butter, and parsley, and remove from heat.
6. Whisk goat cheese and 1 tablespoon butter into polenta, taste for seasoning, and add salt if necessary. In a shallow bowl, spoon polenta in the bottom, Place a mound of greens on top, and, then pour shrimp and pan sauce over top.